FLUSHING, N.Y. – The Queens College men's tennis team defeated the Post University Eagles, 5-1, in the NCAA Division II East Region I Finals on Sunday, advancing to the Round of 16 in the NCAA Championship for the first time since 2012. It was the seventh consecutive win for the Knights (15-5), who went 10-0 in matches played at the QC Tennis Center this season.
Queens, which topped Post, 8-1, just 19 days ago, took the lead by taking two of the three doubles matches before recording the first three singles victories to capture the win.
The Knights jumped out to an early 2-0 lead by taking first and third doubles. Senior Sharvill Nawghre and junior Roman Laga partnered for an 8-3 win at No. 1 over Nikola Crvelin and Ludvig Henrikson, while juniors Gabriel Mendez and Lucas Martinez teamed up for an 8-1 victory over Joe Alvord and Peter Rossel at third doubles.
From there, Queens rolled to three quick wins at fourth, fifth and sixth singles to take the match. Sophomore Richard Sec took down Urban, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 4 singles, while Jubera notched a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5. Laga then earned a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Alvord at sixth singles, as Queens advanced with the 5-1 win.
The Knights now move to the NCAA Championship's Round of 16 in Altamonte Springs, Fla., where they will take on Midwest II winner Drury University on Tuesday, May 9, at noon.
NCAA Division II East Region 1 Final
Queens 5, Post 1
1. Nawghre/Laga (QC) def. Crvelin/Henrikson (POST), 8-3
2. Rajevac/Urban (POST) def. Jubera/Mao (QC), 8-6
3. Mendez/Martinez (QC) def. Alvord/Rossel (POST), 8-1
1. Sharvill Nawghre (QC) vs. Nikola Crvelin (POST), 5-7, 0-3 unfinished
2. Jui Mao (QC) vs. Ivan Rajevac (POST), 7-6 (7-1), 3-3 unfinished
3. Gabriel Mendez (QC) vs. Ludvig Henrikson (POST), 6-3, 5-4 unfinished
4. Richard Sec (QC) def. Sam Urban (POST), 6-1, 6-2
5. Cosme Jubera (QC) def. Peter Rossel (POST), 6-1, 6-1
6. Roman Laga (QC) def. Joe Alvord (POST), 6-3, 6-3